Thursday, October 8, 2009

Unagi Chirashi

I like my mom's unagi chirashi recipe - so simple yet so satisfying. Today I cooked mixed grain rice - I call it gokokumai, which means five grain rice, but the packet that I use says that there are actually 16 different grains used - which is why the rice is a purplish color. I love this kind of rice, because it's not only healthy but it tastes really good, too. So cut up some cucumber, shiso leaves, and heated up unagi, mix it all into the rice, and you're ready to eat. Yum! Buying unagi at the supermarket can be a baffling experience when you encounter the huge price range of the eel depending on where it came from. My choice today was between a $20.00 eel from Japan, and a $4.99 eel from somewhere else. I had to go with the non-Japanese one. Now H and I can go have a nice $15 meal somewhere. For a side dish, I tried an eggplant gomaae (a sesame seed dressing), which was pretty yummy.





1 comment:

  1. You made this for me before and it was such a memorable dish. Another one of your recipes I've been wanting to try making myself! I forgot that you put shiso leaves in it. A nice reminder. Can you do a misoshiru-tokushu sometime, like what you put in it? Always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete