Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Purple Curry

We had some yummy-looking satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potatoes) from the Farmers' Market, so I thought that I would try making chicken curry with satsumaimo, carrots, and onions today. I like the way satsumaimo in miso soup really adds sweetness and found an online recipe that convinced me that the curry version would be quite nice too. A couple of surprises during cooking tonight: when I cut open the satsumaimo, the inside was purple instead of yellow. Apparently I had bought a special Okinawan type of satsumaimo. Then when I started stewing all of the meat and veggies together, the soup turned into a very colorful purple! Too bad that once I put in the curry, the brown stamped out any trace of purple. But in memory of the brilliantly purple soup, the curry was served over purple rice. Nice flavor, sweet and mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment