Sunday, October 18, 2009

Purple Tonjiru

I was feeling a little under the weather today - it might have been because of the flu shot I got yesterday, overstuffing ourselves with maguro at dinner last night, or a combination of both. In any case for lunch I just wanted a simple, comforting meal, so I chose soup. My default soup to make is probably the dish that I have cooked more times than any other in my life - tonjiru (a miso-based soup with pork and veggies). I still had the purple sweet potatoes from the Farmers' Market, so of course I used those and of course the soup turned more purple than I had ever seen before. But the potatoes, along with the onions and other veggies, added a nice sweetness and yummy flavor. I discovered that the purple potatoes were not from Okinawa like I had originally thought, but actually from Molokai, which is the 5th Hawaiian island with a population of about 7,000. I guess I will now call this purple soup my Hawaiian tonjiru.


1 comment: