Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mirin Mackerel with Gingery Soup

I really like this mackerel recipe that I just tried! And it's so simple, I'll definitely use it again. Here it is to remember: lightly sprinkle some salt on both sides of the mackerel. Put the 2 fillets in a ziplock bag and add 4 Tbsp of mirin, 1 tsp of soy sauce. Knead the sauce into the fish. Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (I did overnight), then grill. Because of the mirin, the fish had a sweet and gentle flavor, which went well with the fattiness of the fish.

This morning it was very gray and cloudy outside, so I decided to make a wintery warm-you-up kind of soup for dinner (even though it was hot and sunny by the afternoon). I threw in ground pork, thin transparent kuzukiri noodles, napa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, and lots of ginger. Why does ginger make everything taste so good? Nice soup to warm you up, even in 80 degree weather!


No comments:

Post a Comment