Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tofu Steak and Sashimi Salad

Tonight was a return to Japanese food with a new tofu steak recipe. I found the recipe in a "Dinner in less than 15 minutes" type Japanese book but it took at least half an hour with both H and I working in the kitchen at full capacity - hopefully next time we can make it more efficient. The sauce came out pretty yummy but very strong - the recipe calls for a loooot of miso - so next time we'll try it with less miso. H suggested that we cut the cooking time in half by forgetting the renkon (lotus root) chips, but I actually liked those a lot. I love the crunchy texture of renkon. Now that we have all this leftover renkon in the fridge, I will be looking for some more yummy renkon recipes.


Oh, and the sashimi salad! The sashimi that I bought today wasn't labeled, but I chose it because it was relatively cheap and I thought it would look pretty on a salad. Both H and I were pleasantly surprised by the very nice flavor and texture of the fish. I'll be looking for this mystery fish again at Marukai.

No comments:

Post a Comment